Thursday, July 2, 2009

Storms across the water

When we experience storms in North Texas they are mighty - but - when the same kicks up over the ocean, well... 

Yesterday, here in Florida, I witnessed just such a sight. It was incredible to watch as clouds rolled in and the waves were kicked up.  A day to stay in - for sure - but, in a moment's flash (coming from who knows where) I decided to jog the beach.  Off the deck and into the gale I braced myself to face both wind and rain. I turned north, determined to make the island's end before quitting.  Not one person was on the beach nor in the water.  Even the surfers (those young tatoos wearing skin who frequent such weather) were absent.  I was alone

As I ran the rain peppered my face, stinging and biting. My clothes, now drenched, created a drag, making my already slow pace slower. No gulls singing. No pelicans diving. Just me, and the heavy sounds of wind and my shoes crunching upon the wet sand. "How alone did the disciples feel the night of the storm?" I thought. As men of the lake they had seen storms' effects before. Now they were caught in one. Afraid for their lives. Out on a lake in a terrible storm with naught but the 'celebrity' of the day. "How did we get into this?" they thought.  

Water and wind together have a way of wreaking havoc on a life. We need water but could do without the wind because, together, they usually mean trouble. But wait! We should not forget that Jesus is in the boat - and that He is more, much more, than just a 'Celebrity of the Day!' And this! We certainly don't need to wake Him, do we? For, He already is. (Luke 8, Psalm 139, Psalm 23)

So... I finally made the end of my island. this isle called Anna Maria. And though the rain and wind never stopped my struggle finally did. Instead of feeling 'alone,' I was enthralled. Enthralled in real-time worship of the One, Awesome, Personal God through Christ.  For though it is true I no longer run as once I did, on this day, this day of rain, wind and storm, I ran with Him.

With storms across the water, indeed
  
Pastor Sam   


No comments: