Friday, July 17, 2009

Brasil, Day 8, 'calling out the new'

It has been a few days since my last post, and we have been very, very busy. A few of us are tired - taking rest as needed - but for all, this team and their commitment to the work has been incredible. I am especially proud of our young people and young adults. Trey, my son, is 16 and Jairo has with him his sons, John Peter and John Phillip, as well. These young men are 14 and 12 respectively and each are performing in a mature manner far beyond their years.

In addition, Lauren Irons, a Junior education major at Baylor University is with us and today shared her testimony. Then, Dave and Debbie Davenport's sons, Brett and Jacob are with us - some good ole 'Aggies' - are with us. Brett shared his testimony on Thursday and tomorrow Jacob will bring us our message for morning vespers. Finally, the ParkwayHills team is also made up of two young adults, Sarah Davenport and my daughter Taylor, who's training growing up here at ParkwayHills has prepared them well for the rigors and challenge of communicating more than information, communicating God's love. As their pastor, this only reminds me of how grateful I am for our church back home, and the good leadership so many provide week in and out in raising up such fine young Christian 'missionaries.'

Chris Davenport, who has been with me every year since first we began this work in Brasil, is our tireless leader and coordinator for the American team - and Glenn Sampson is our official 'elder.' I don't know that I have ever met any men more dogged in their commitment to 'stay the course' while remaining 'flexible.' What an example they are.

Additionally, I have brought with me Pastor Jim Thomas and church planter, Pastor Coby Ray. These men are gaining a birds eye view of the power of God to work in a place, a specific time, and through a specific strategy so much so that He just blesses. It is incredible to see all things come together in His timing and through His ways. It makes you hunger, as a pastor, for nothing less. What a great lesson for a pastor to learn.

We are now in Jaiba, a larger city and, as such, more difficult. The logistics are quite challenging and the numbers of people we are dealing with each day are almost more than we can manage. I preached to a full gymnasium last night, as I heave every night, and saw many come to Christ. Tonight, however, I will give Jim that charge. He will do a good job and I am pleased for his willingness to take up the challenge and his openness to sense this call as a pastor from ParkwayHills beyond me. Indeed, in ministry we are always training and mentoring, and asking God to 'call out the new' - to 'send' the workers, those beyond us, to go 'into the fields', which are so very 'ripe for harvest'.

The pictures today are of Pastor Jim, Chris Davenport and Pastor Coby; as well as picture of one of our hotels In Jaiba. Needless today, we are not in the Ritz Carlton (nor even MOTEL 6), but are grateful to be in Christ. Amen? Amen!

No comments: