Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Brasil - Day 8 - Things not to do´

Today I experienced bruises in the first person - to my body and my ego. How? Well, your pastor rented a Mortorcycle. Not a scooter, which is what I wanted, but a motorcycle. A Honda, tightly geared, able to do wheelies, etc. etc. etc.

The last thing I remember is letting out the clutch and seeing the front wheel raise its head - and, from there- the rest is history. Luckily, I had only traveled 15 feet, which is good, because my speed was the level of only bruising not breaking the bones. To say the least, I have retired the machine, this beast of errant ways, and have resloved to not try this again. Thank goodness Belinda does not read my blogs.

P.S. This whole episode was Chris Davenport´s fault :)

Last evening I experienced a most serendiptous event, truly orchestrated from God. There is a class meeting in our hotel of young Brasilians, who are learning to speak English. Their teacher and I met in the hotel lobby and he asked if I had a moment to speak to his class. He said they would take great delight in hearing someone from the U.S. actually speak. "Of course," I said. What happened from there could only be explained by God. A student asked, "why are you here?" And, once again, I found an opening for the gospel that was God-sent. As I sat there explaining to this towns´young, it´s rightest and best, I was amazed at the providence of our Lord in orchestrating His work for the Kingdom. He is, truly, an amazing God.

I am working on my Portuguese each day and have made a pact with the class to coninue with them, bruses and all. The whole town is talking about the "crazy" pastor who takes literally the call to "take it to the streets." From now on, though, I plan to keep it so by standing and not falling beneath a motorcycle. Amen!

Deus te Abencoe

Pastor Sam

No comments: