Thursday, May 1, 2008

A 'New York' minute and tip

My bride and I just returned late Wednesday from two and a half days in Manhattan.  We went there to celebrate 25 years of marriage by spending time together.  It was fantastic. How could it not be?  But... it was fast.  

Of course, in New York everything is fast, even a minute!   Have you never heard the term, "A New York Minute"?  Wikipedia says the term originates from an understanding that New Yorkers are 'hurried and impatient."  And, that fast little encyclopedia should know!

While there we went to a show at the Gershwin, ate, shopped, ate, went sight-seeing, ate, and.., walked around Central Park - topped off by one last time to... eat.  Alka Seltzer anyone?   I  marveled at how much I love my wife.  How good God is to have seen fit to allow us a partnership in this life of love, raising children, and ministry. " B" really is my partner  - and I am blessed.  

But one other thing I always experience when in new York, beyond a "hurried" minute and "lot's" of food, are the New York Cabbie's.  These are generally men who have moved here from somewhere else - often the Middle East, and don't I have some fun in those cabs?   

In a New York Cab I've been in 3 wrecks, a few more fender benders,  witnessed a myriad of hand gestures, endured lots of honking, and never experienced a decent A/C.   Yet, being a Texan, a preacher, and your pastor Sam, I always mange to strike up a conversation (maybe that's why we're having all the wrecks) and pass along a witness for Christ.  Which, by the way, also prompts me to be a good tipper.  Stinginess does not follow well the message of grace.

After all, how can I share Jesus and be jerk at the same time?  I can't!   And that's the whole of this story.  

Blessings - 

Pastor Sam 

   


No comments: