Friday, May 9, 2008

Mother's Day and preaching

In pulpit ministry there are those Sunday's that if you don't get right, well... you might just as well hang it up.  One of those, of course, is Mother's Day.  A day when hearts are warmmoist, and, some... are aching from hurt.

Now I didn't always know this.  Oblivious to the tradition, I insisted on following my own agenda determined not to give in to 'sentimentality'.  Mother's beware! (thought I)  this pastor has something to say!  Even if it has nothing - whatsoever - to do with you!  Aaarrgghh!!! 

Now, 19 years and 20 Mother's Days later, I have reformed from the error of my ways.  It's Mother's Day for crying out loud!   And, well,  we all have a Mother - and can use a word concerning how to be one, how to love one, how to learn from one, and, how to hope and help all the one's yet to come.  Too, I can think of no better time than our "hip and happening" 21st century to hear a word from God's pulpit on Christian Motherhood.  

So, if you're near Plano and/or the North Dallas Tollway this weekend, step in to ParkwayHills.  There you'll hear a word on Mother's Day concerning Mother's.   Whether broken, blessed, or somewhere in between - this is one preacher who will not miss the opportunity this wonderful day brings. 

Happy Mother's Day, indeed  


Pastor Sam 
  

No comments: