Sunday, May 25, 2008

Giving Back a Success

Today was, by anyones standard of measure, a signature success in the life of ParkwayHills Church.  Today, by doing it, we got it - and it was good.  

As I drove about from one group to another, I was thrilled each time I came upon you.  Seeing those blue T-Shirts, gloved hands, and Spirit-filled smiles reminded me of the genius of God in first sending His Son, and then, second, sending His church.  
At one site I happened to be alone for a moment picking up trash, when a young couple rode up on bicycles hot and exhausted from their ride. They paused by me collecting their selves together, and I offered them some of our cold water from a nearby cooler.  They thanked me, then continued by asking what group we were with and why we there.  I told them who we were and that our purpose for this day was to make the point that we were sent into the community to be a part of it, not just a user of it, and to make a difference.  The young man then asked me what I did.  I told him I was the pastor.  "Do you attend church?" I asked.  "No,"  he said. "Only a few times as a boy, and not at all since becoming an adult."  Then, he added this, "I may try your church, though, because - if I did go I'd want to attend one like yours."  I smiled and told him I'd love to see him, "anytime."

Oh, and as he rode off he added one thing more - "what you are doing is very responsible,"  he called.  To which I said, "thank you" then asked, "and what do you do?"  "I'm an environmental ecologist."   "Really?"  I returned, thinking he might be just pulling my leg.  "Yes, really!"  He said.  

Hmm!  God is in charge, indeed!

Pastor Sam 



No comments: