Friday, March 27, 2009

A Sometime Day

When I was a boy my Dad had a saying in response to the frequent questions of us kids.  We'd ask, "Dad, when are we going to".... ?  And his reply - almost as if he were singing - would be, 'sometime!'   

Now Dad's answer was not off-putting.  It didn't make us mad.  In fact, his was a cheerful response and hopeful. I suppose you could say I grew up looking forward to 'sometime' days based entirely on the way my dad would put it out there - so that, sometime was something to look forward to. 

A sometime day might be described as the day you finally get to do that thing you wanted to do earlier, but couldn't.  It can also be a day that describes a better time - not from something missed, overlooked, or not having time for - but from something that is just 'better' because it's 'yet' to come.  As if things are not quite right, yet, but surely will be... sometime.  

I think this is what Christ was thinking of when his disciples asked, "Tell us, when will this happen, and what will be the sign of your coming and of the end of the age?" (Matthew 24:3), to which Jesus replied, "Keep watch", and, "be ready" (24:42-44).  In short, not yet but sometime 

When we speak of the future we can be fearful and afraid.  But Jesus speaks of it with confidence because He sees what we cannot.  So that His response to our questions of 'when?" should set the tone for the way we now live.  And, just as my Dad left me looking forward to 'sometime,' I find my LORD does too.  

Yours for a 'Sometime Day,' today -  


Pastor Sam   

 

No comments: