Thursday, March 12, 2009

20 years - looking back and forward

On Sunday March 29 Parkwayhills will celebrate the 20th anniversary of her first Sunday, which occurred on March 26, 1989.  The day will be more than nostalgic as we take time to remember from where we've come, to celebrate where we are and be challenged concerning our next 20 years to come.  The theme of this day is 'Rediscovering Roots,' and one process in readying us has included 'video interviews' of members compositing, as best we can, a picture of the whole of these last 20 years.  As these have told their stories reflecting both on events and on how they felt about such, it has been nothing short of an encouraging reminder of the power of Christ through His church.  

Now many of you know I am a longtime 'journaler,' and, as such, have recorded many things about our church over the years.  However, in giving these volumes an overview of late, I am curious at how infrequent my chronicle includes anything statistical.  My interest?  The hand of God and His work in my heart, in my family and in the hearts and lives of the people I am called to serve.   

As I look back over these 20 years I am amazed, of course, at the physical changes in this area of the Tollway Corridor and West Plano. Doing this, I am even more thrilled at the providence of God in placing us here.  Confessedly, I now admit to supposing myself more of God's wielder of things yet to come -  but, as I take my 'View from the Tollway' today, I am grateful at seeing much more of Him and a whole lot less of me in the process.

Perhaps there will come a day when this parkway will include, not only a tollway south, but a train - one traversing all the way from the River Red to Downtown Dallas.  On that day, that someday, someone may look out the window of this train to see our dome, or perhaps a cross or bell atop a sanctuary yet to come.  Perhaps in that moment God will speak to that one and cause them to get off that train at a station called "Chapel Hill," and come in.  Inside the church, I pray, there will be people - people far from us in time, yet tied to us in ways more powerful than one can know - by the very Spirit and call of God.  On that day this one may hear the gospel and bow their knee to the Man who died on the cross forgiving them of their sin.  And, on that day, we, the saints who've gone before, will see more clearly and certainly the very will and purpose of God in building what we now call - His church on the Parkway!  

No comments: