Friday, August 15, 2008

LIFEwalk - the Discipline of Meditation


THE HEAD AND THE HEART
This Sunday my series LIFEwalk will continue with a look at the spiritual discipline of Meditation.  Thomas Merton in Spiritual Direction and Reflection writes, 'meditation is to exercise the mind in serious reflection,' which, 'not only involves the mind, but the whole heart.'  This distinction is critical.  Our faith in Christ is a matter of the heart and the head.  Which comes first?  The heart or head?  I would say both -  at times one and at times the other.  Praise God that my mind is influenced by my heart, and praise Him, likewise, that my heart is at times transformed by His work in my head

TIME 'ALONE'
Now the above does not happen by accident.  Acquiring disciplines that can enable this is critical.  In this, focused time 'alone' helps.  As a boy this 'alone time' was precious to me.  Of course, I wasn't really alone.  I would take with me thoughts, dreams, my 'focus' of the day, and any other thing which formed a critical role in my current journey.  The result?  I found help for moving myself among the crowd.  Whether a grade schooler with a baseball mitt, or a teenager with a guitar, these segments of my young life became times that defined me. 

As an adult, this 'time' and its result is still true - but - with one wonderful distinction.  Now I take it with God.  By stepping away with and to reflect on Him - His attributes, wonder, work, creation and Word - I gain a critical 'center' for what I do and how I am among the crowds and places of my life today.  

A CRITICAL CONNECTION
So, mediation is not complex, or just for the 'super spiritual.'  In fact, you likely are accomplishing it in its most basic form now - by reflecting and focusing on something already.  The question is, upon what are you meditating?   This is our critical connection.  The psalmist wrote, "Thy word have I hid in my heart that I might not....sin..."  and each of us could add our individual asterisk - that I might not... fear, fret, be jealous, or, even... be wasteful of my time.  

So remember, help for your journey is found in Him.  Take Him with you, or even, go with Him. 


Till next time then...

Pastor Sam 



  

No comments: