Sunday, March 15, 2015

Easter Together, Day 22 - When Jesus Returns


I tell you in that night there will be two in one bed. One will be taken and the other left. There will be two women grinding together. One will be taken and the other left.” And they said to him, “Where, Lord?” He said to them, “Where the corpse is, there the vultures will gather.” Luke 17: 34-37

After Jesus had answered the Pharisees concerning the Kingdom of God, he then turned to His disciples and continued His teaching personally to them. To the Pharisees he basically had said, “If you want to know the Kingdom of God, get to know the King.”  (David Guzik Commentary of the Bible, Luke 17, http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/guz/view.cgi?book=lu&chapter=017 but to His disciples he said, ‘In your day, my Kingdom won’t come immediately.’ Was Jesus confused? Not hardly. He answered truthfully and correctly to both. The Kingdom of God is realized now for those of us in Christ – in this sense, for those who know the King.  But, for His disciples that day, those who already knew Him and were among His closest followers, he used this question by the Pharisees to prepare them for the days to come – the days when he would be gone (Vv. 24-25), followed by the days of His rejection and suffering (v. 26) and to tell them of the way it would be both before and upon His final return (Vv. 27-35).

As I read these verses this morning I reflected on several things that Jesus was teaching His disciples, and, as a result, me as well.  First, He said that His return would not be seen in the disciples day and time, though they would long for it (The days will come when you will desire to see one of the days of the Son of Man, and you will not see it, v. 22) – and it wasn’t.  Second, that Satan would know how to take advantage of that longing (And they will say to you, ‘Look here!’ or ‘Look there, v.23) – and he did, and still does (i.e. David Koresh and Jim Jones). Finally, that when Jesus does return, it will be seen by all (For as the lightning that flashes and lights up the sky from one side to the other, so will the Son of Man be in his day. v. 24).  And this morning I reflected on this, that if Jesus said it then it will be as He has said – and that has brought me great comfort.

Like the disciples future response as was foretold by Christ, I find myself longing for Jesus’ return, as well.  Yet, still, though I know I am told to ‘watch’ and be ‘ready’, I fear much of my watching is misspent.  In the right frame of mind, God would have my  ‘watch,' not as one always looking to the sky in fear and dread, but as one who lives his life watchfully’ because I am anticipating the glory which is to come. As someone who anticipate His coming with joy rather than dread. As a person who keeps his house in order, with his work ready for review. In this way, life on earth is not despised, but treasured and invested toward the real prize yet to come. 

Yes, when Jesus does return, I want to be ready go with Him. And, thank God, by His grace, I will. Will you? 

Pastor Sam

No comments: