Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Who, Whose and What - 1 Timothy 1: 12-18

This Sunday past it was my joy to bring a 'charge' to the new candidates being ordained into the deacon ministry of ParkwayHills. My text was not my usual one for such occasions, but it was nonetheless appropriate. I chose a passage from Paul's 1st letter to Timothy, as he wrote an encouraging word to this young pastor by testifying of things he had learned personally.

First, Paul wrote concerning who he was - saying he was a sinner saved by God's grace.  He wrote, 'even though I was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and a man of violence. ...I received mercy.  And the grace of our Lord overflowed for me with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.' Paul made no bones about this. He was clear as to his former self, going on to say that 'Christ came to save sinners of whom I am foremost.'

Second, Paul wrote concerning whose He was - by adding, 'I received mercy, so that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display the utmost patience.' Paul joyfully believed He was the possession of Christ. Though we might say I possess Christ, Paul would say, "Christ possesses me." (cf. Acts 17:28, 2 Cor. 6:16, 2 Cor, 13:5, Gal. 4 et.al, Eph. 3:17) And that he was no longer slave to the flesh, but a slave (bond-servant) of Christ - one given a new life, bought with a price and now to be borne with honor.

But finally, Paul wrote a word to remind Timothy (and us) of what we are to do - as any Christian being set apart to serve the task God has called us to. Paul shared that Christ had made him an example (v. 16) 'to those who would come to believe,' and charged Timothy to 'fight the good fight.' (v. 18) All of this reminded me on Sunday of who we are, whose we are and what we are called to do. With Paul I concur that we are sinners saved by grace, Christ's very possession bought with a price, and called to be an example by fighting the good fight - never giving up.

As I went home to turn on my TV, I saw that Russel Wilson, the quarterback for the Seattle Seahawks, had thrown 4 interceptions to come to the 4th quarter facing a deficit of 12 points against the Green Bay Packers. Yet, with but 2 minutes left to play, his team tied the game and won the NFC championship in overtime. When interviewed, he was asked how this happened. His reply was, 'we never gave up - we just kept believing.'

Indeed, in Christ we need never give up! We've been assured victory by our Lord. Consequently, by remembering 'who' and 'whose' we are this enables us to live the 'what' of our Christ-life, too - one standing as an example to others.

Blessings,

Pastor Sam

No comments: