Monday, December 9, 2013

The Deep Freeze of 2013 - and how I survived, and learned!

Inclement weather in North Texas is not unusual, but I can recall few times, if any, that caused greater havoc or disruption than this 'Deep Freeze of 2013.'

In February 1989, the year we started the church, the few families who had come together to begin ParkwayHills were also caught in a similar 'Ice Day' Sunday - but with this dilemma - we couldn't find a church to attend (during this period of our 'organizing' we were visiting area churches each Sunday to formulate our ideas and make ourselves ready).  Anyway, the weather was horrible but we still wanted to meet. As a remedy we opted for the local Pancake House, one near Beltline and the Tollway. There we enjoyed our 'together' time over hearty breakfast and with our rowdy kids in tow, tolerating them and organizing what we were about to do - start a new church.

On Saturday I was watching football wanting so desperately not to deal with the issue of 'should we cancel church?'  Of course that was not to be.  So, while my team, the OSU Cowboys were 'blowing it' - and the rest of our churches 'team', the Baylor Bears, were taking it to the house (and deservedly so), I was on the phone. From a safety standpoint the decision was easy. I knew the roads were not safe to drive upon, and I was concerned over the condition of our church parking lot and walkways, as well as the power issues we'd been experiencing in the neighborhood. Indeed, ONCOR did report a power outage along our stretch of the Tollway from 3:30 Sunday afternoon into the early evening.  Still, I confess to having to fight temptation to say, 'all may come who want or will, for I'll be here, and we can pray and worship together."

Now at 2:45 am on Friday, our daughter, who is 32 weeks pregnant, lost power in her home in North Dallas. She and husband, Matt just purchased their first house, one built in 1956, and, suffice it to say, power line issues and conditions of Dallas compared with our newer areas of Plano and Frisco are quite challenging.  And that's putting it politely.

As Friday afternoon passed, Taylor and Matt were still without power - and freezing. Ours was back on (down from 5:00a to 3:00p), and so we insisted they come to Plano and wait out their repair in the warmth and safety of our house. At approximately 4:45 they arrived.  Taylor, Matt and their two dogs - Stigler and Norman. Has anyone seen Christmas Vacation? (Just kidding) And from there, well... you get the picture.

Now we all know that one of the great temptations for failure in a pastor is to put 'being with the church' over 'family'. Through the years Belinda and I have talked about this a lot - working to keep things in balance.  And, thanks mainly to her and the good grace of God, I have resisted this temptation for the most part, and grateful now to be blessed with children and a wife that do not resent the church in any way. Still, here I was in 2013 finding myself with a classic lesson on correctly balancing family and ministry right under my nose. My daughter, son in law, and grand-baby to-be were in my house. On Sunday morning! And yet, I found myself pining for the church.

As the household awakened and we gathered in the kitchen to share a meal, I looked over at my Belinda who'd prepared for us a feast. She was beaming in her usual, joyful way. I looked across at my son-in-law and was grateful for his temperament and steady consistent ways and means of expression. Then, I looked at Taylor, and she said, "dad, I can't believe you canceled church today."  I smiled and said, 'yeah, I think that this is a first in 25 years." No one said a thing. Then, we bowed our heads and joined hands for me to pray - 'LORD, I thank you for my family, for Taylor, for Matt and for Trey safe at school - for Baby Butler about to be born, and for Belinda - the love of my life - and this opportunity you have given me to be with them today. In that moment, my Sunday worship was begun.  A worship that has continued into today.

Yes, God knows the things we 'need' even before we pray for them (cf. Matt. 6:32) and His spirit intercedes on our behalf with 'groanings too deep for words.' (Rom. 8:28)

And THAT'S how I survived the Deep Freeze of 2013.

With love,


Pastor Sam




No comments: