Saturday, August 18, 2012

Readying for Sunday

What a joy as rain returned to North Texas this week. The effect of this blessing is felt universally - both to nature and to us - and we are certainly grateful for this needed nourishment.  

Today I sit in my study putting the finishing touches on my message for tomorrow. One that will focus on a Third Core Value of our church - that of Learning About God through the study and application of His Word. As I think about this, and gaze out my window, I cannot help drawing a parallel with what I am witnessing in nature.  Precious rain upon a parched earth is incomparable as to effectiveness. Likewise, the same may be said concerning the effect of God's Word when read, studied (meditated upon) and applied to the lives of His children.

The Psalmist wrote,
"Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night."
"He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers."  Psalm 1:1-3

Belinda awakened early this morning and blessed our household with a feast of scrambled eggs, fresh biscuits and a variety of fruits to enjoy. It is nearly noon, now, and I am still satisfied. How many mornings have I grabbed a bagel, a roll, or simply rushed down a cup of coffee only to find myself back in the kitchen in a hour or less, scrounging around for something more?  But not today! I am totally satisfied.

My prayer for life is that I will feast on the table prepared for me by God - one founded in Christ and nourished by time in His Word.

Till Sunday, then


Pastor Sam

No comments: