Saturday, June 2, 2012

Jumping June-ipers

June is a wonderful month that I thoroughly enjoy. Like the Juniper tree named from the selfsame root (pun intended), it seems to offer hope, comfort and a certain kind of 'evergreen' grandeur.  Why?  Kids are out of school, graduation celebrations abound, and Pastor Sam finds himself with 'weddings a plenty!'  All of which do keep me jumping.

Tonight I will perform a wedding in downtown Dallas - and next Saturday I will attend to another of the same in Highland Park. Both of these are events I look forward to for the couples who will stand before me are each deeply committed to a marriage that will honor Him. What joy!  

This Sunday it will be our church's privilege to celebrate our High School Senior class of 2012, something I especially look forward to. In fact, I find it hard to imagine a Sunday with any greater, or more practical, 'church-family' significance. Graduating a class of young people whom we love and are committing to pray for before 'sending them off' - is a charge and responsibility of the highest order.  

In both the recent days past as well as the near weeks going forward, I will speak, pray, address, attend and be seated as a honored guest at such events as graduation exercises, weddings, Eagle Scout ceremonies, company retirement receptions, et. al.  At each I will have an opportunity to celebrate and/or speak on behalf of the person and their accomplishment, and share how they have honored God in such.   

I once heard a pastor say that he dreaded such occasions. That he found them a waste of time and worked hard to excuse himself by sending one of his associates to cover for him. I did not say anything, but I wish I had.  For I believe this 'pastor' to be quite wrong.  It is our privilege to be with our people as they celebrate the days of their lives.  In most cases they have not invited us out of duty but because they love us.  As well, they have more often done so to acknowledge their love for God.  So that attending is both a joy and fulfillment of our calling as pastors. 

Jesus once attended a wedding and as far as I know He was not even asked to speak, though he did aid in the celebration by performing a miracle.  He gave them new wine! As a pastor I want to be the same for those over whom God has given me charge.  Ministry is not performed from an ivory tower but out on the street - those painted in pain and those donned in celebration.  So I think I'll just go ahead and 'jump into June' by celebrating!  And, I'll pray for YOU! That you might know, as well - some... 

of the very same!


Pastor Sam  





No comments: