Saturday, March 6, 2010

Deference makes a difference

It has been a quiet day on Steeplechase - as well, on the Parkway, just a block away. A visit to the hospital to see a member, an errand to Elliot's, and now, listening to music with Bible and lap-top in hand. I am working on tomorrow's message, which is from 1Peter, Vv. 1-7 covering a portion of scripture that is key for husbands and wives in marriage. The bottom line? We (all of us) are to submit - to defer to one another for the sake and glory of Christ - an alien practice in this culture of me first and you last.

But thinking of it now, I am drawn to the word deference and reminded of what happened today. For, when walking out of Elliot's I and another approached the exit door at the same time. However, before I could let him pass, he put out his hand and gestured for me to pass first. This one move, simple yet strong, made the passage of us both, through this very same door - a better pass, indeed. In this sense, his deference towards me made a difference - not just in the event itself, but in the way we both perceived and received the other. Not a bad thing in life, at Elliot's or, ... in marriage.

Blessings -

Pastor Sam

No comments: