Friday, December 18, 2009

December 22, Merry Christmas, indeed!

How many more times will I say it, 'Merry Christmas?' I suspect many more. For, in all the years I've been so doing, I find this greeting no more compelling than now. Why? Well because of the response. For though most all always are nice - and though some will add a 'thank you' and even echo the self-same back. There are others, a growing number I find, who now politely, almost 'correctively' say... "Happy Holidays to you, too!" And for this, I am compelled to insist my greeting remains - 'Merry Christmas, indeed!"

Now... before you either decry or applaud me, may I first insist on being clear. I am not asking congress to pass a law that the phrase be a must. Or, that retailers be strictly black-listed for not so using. No! I am simply electing to use what has become in my lifetime a wonderfully powerful witness and testimony. For as the saying has fallen from the masses, it now may trickle from the lips of those joyfully in Christ once more.

So... do not grow weary this Christmas 2009 and beyond. Let the world in which you live hear aloud your good witness - even in the simplicity of that age-old greeting. And... let the redeemed of the LORD say so -

Merry Christmas, indeed!

Pastor Sam

No comments: