Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Without God's Grace, what is there?

Not a bad question to ask, especially for a preacher. So tonight, while engaged in what many of my profession are on Wednesday, speaking to a handful of the 'older faithful' who both remember and yet enjoy the Wednesday Night Prayer Service, I found myself so doing.  In such I sensed - once again - that resonating power we preachers often feel when we strike a cord of truth and see it reflected back on the faces of those listening.  And what is that truth? Why it is the subject of God's grace.  Of how He saved me, called me, and gave me yet another chance to serve Him.  Not because of who I am, nothing from or out of me, but because of Him. His love only. His calling only.  His power only. And by His name to be praised.  

As I spoke I could see in the eyes of these seasoned Saints a look of understanding. A look of agreement and knowing.  I thought, "without preaching of God's grace, what is there left that I might say?"  Oh, I could speak of His creative genius - and none would argue.  Or, I could speak of His might - and none would likely disagree. But, when I speak of His grace, this is something which is and will always be my one great 'connect' point. For it is only by this that we can know Him at all.  Perhaps that is why the Apostle Paul wrote to the church that they were to "grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ."  For certainly it is true - to grow in His grace is to grow in knowing Him.  

Many preachers are known for noise, some for politics, some for poise.  We've been known for buildings, our ministries and degrees!  But this preacher stands content being 'known' by God's grace. 

Pastor Sam  

No comments: