Friday, April 18, 2008

A High School Climb; circa, 1968

When I was a young man nearing graduation from High School, there was one thing left yet for me to do before exiting my alma mater – Wichita High School North.  The school had been built on the banks of the Little Arkansas River in 1929, and - as that was another time and place in the American psyche - inscribed in stone upon her grand tower were the words from the Bible passage, Proverbs 3:13-18. 

Now tradition held that Seniors, on the last week before they graduated, could climb the tower steps to its top and look out across the river, north upon what once was the Kansas prairie, and south to the city streets of Wichita.  And though the consummate prankster and malefactor of mischief, prone to frequent all nooks and crannies of this great old school at will, I had failed in all previous attempts to break tradition and code by climbing those tower steps.   

As I faced opportunity for my 'official climb',  there lacked  but one requirement  - recitation of the tower's Proverb, word for word, and by memory.   Of course, not knowing the proverb, dear to some but merely 'permission' to me, I took the morning of my appointed day to learn it - then stood before a volunteer, recited it in full, and  was passed to the heights above.   Up step after step and ladder after ladder, I climbed to the tower’s top, anticipating what I would see with naught but the proverb in my memory.  

Perhaps I was naive.  I don't know.  But, once there I was shocked to find only this... names!  More names in 'legalized graffiti' than ever I'd seen.  Names of rich, of poor,  of recent and long ago.  Some recognizable, but most not.  So that as I stood on this grand perch gazing at the names of her walls, they began speaking to me of  their days and times.  There were names of those who had crossed seas for war, and names who had not come back.  There were names recognizable, of distinction and notoriety; and many more – the greater sea of which were just like mine - of no recognition at all.   These were names of countless young, who had climbed to the tower’s top on a proverb, who had looked out to see what they might see, and who, like me, had yet to fully realize that it was the words that had brought them there and could - if they'd listen - bring them back again.

This May marks my 40th year since scaling that old tower, and I am still amazed over it all.   Not at the climb. But at those words 'hurriedly' learned.  They are now a precious memory to me, and true!   Because I have come to know the Saviour, the very Son of God, from whose heart these words are born.   

Do you know the words?  Do you know the Saviour?  Words of wisdom written long ago - that have become a part of the landscape of my life - from a "High School Climb" to now.  

Here they are!

Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding. For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold. She is more precious than rubies: and all the things thou canst desire are not to be compared unto her.

 Length of days is in her right hand; and in her left hand riches and honour. Her ways are ways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

 The LORD by wisdom hath founded the earth; by understanding hath he established the heavens. By his knowledge the depths are broken up, and the clouds drop down the dew.

 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion: So shall they be life unto thy soul, and grace to thy neck. Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.

 When thou liest down, thou shalt not be afraid: yea, thou shalt lie down, and thy sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3: 13-24, KJV

No comments: